Pages

Sunday 18 February 2024

Blunders and Orders


I was going to order some figures to replace a couple of auxilia units for my Late Romans, when I spotted these rather nice old range Essex which match my other units on EBay. I would just need to rebase them and add three command figures to each unit. They arrived really quickly and I rebased them................


As well as the command figures I also needed some infantry to finish my Gothic contingent and some archers to complete a French unit for the HYW. I put the order into Essex and half an hour later realised that I had forgotten to add the command figures for the Auxilia. I believe this particular double six applies to all wargameers' orders and appears to be a fundamental law of nature like Relativity, and the disappearance of at least one sock in the wash.

Anyway, I've managed to get these Roman archers rebased.


They are on 40mm x 30mm bases and I've decided on the following system for basing for "Hail Caesar" and "To The Strongest":-

Infantry on 40mm x 30mm bases
Hoplites 8 figures
Heavy Infantry 6 figures
Medium Infantry 5 figures
Light Infantry 4 figures
Skirmisher Infantry 2 figures

Cavalry on 40mm x 40mm bases
Heavy and Medium Cavalry 3 figures
Light Cavalry and Horse Archers 2 figures.
I'm not sure whether I'm going to put 4 Cataphracts on a base or leave as 3

On the WIP front, the 15th Dragoons are still progressing but are a real pain, When I do the 25th I am going back to a black undercoat with a white drybrush and I believe the young, cool people call this method "slap chop". Us old farts have been doing it for years and calling it "dry brushing white over a black undercoat", because we didn't have to worry about snappy titles for YouTube videos.

 

2 comments:

  1. nice work and a very clever basing set up re the size and number of figures. I may steal....

    ReplyDelete